Re: Code comments as Documentation

Subject: Re: Code comments as Documentation
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:28:29 -0700

Leigh Price wrote:

Personally, I'd let sleeping dogs lie. Here, those
kind of comments are not meant for public consumption.
I would consider myself a "view only" user of those
comments.

In fact, I don't usually edit code comments. Most often, I'm editing text strings that are actually part of the code. Occasionally I'll add or modify some logic, too, unless I feel it's outside my comfort range. :)

The only place I bother editing code comments is in files that are run through JavaDoc, which extracts developer documentation from specially formatted comment blocks. In that sense, the code files are really documentation source that just *happens* to include program code. Anyway, we create JavaDocs for only a small subset of our code base, the API used by developers who want to integrate the functions of our software into their own applications.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com