Re: Every good story must have a SQL

Subject: Re: Every good story must have a SQL
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:08:34 -0700

Quoting Lippincott Richard J Contr ESC/NI <Richard -dot- Lippincott -at- hanscom -dot- af -dot- mil>:

> I've gotten a question about the acronym for structured query language. SQL.
> When verbally referencing it, is the common convention to pronounce it as
> "Sequel" or to pronounce the letters "Ess Que Ell" (the reason for the
> question being use of the preceding article: "a Sequel server" vs. "an Ess
> Que Ell server).

That depends where you work. I've heard both used, always with the claim that
the company's preferred pronounciation was the sign of an Initiate, and that
anyone who used the other one was a howling barbarian who probably had bad table
manners and parasites, too.

There does, however, seems to be a tendency for Microsoft-centric shops to
prefer "Sequel."

Personally, I've never noticed that it makes much difference.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com