Re: First Thing's (?) First

Subject: Re: First Thing's (?) First
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:14:53 -0400

Ha! It's Friday sneaking up on us, disguised as spelling.

The apostrophe finds less use in technical writing than in
grocery stores ("FRESH" CANTELOPE'S or 12 ITEM'S OR LESS)
so it's natural to improve its stature in our work. I recommend
firs't things' fir'st.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:55:13 -0400, Parcell, Michelle <Michelle_Parcell -at- G1 -dot- com> wrote:

A couple of people in my department are debating the correct spelling of
the phrase "first things first." One thinks it's as I just wrote, as an
abbreviated version of "first things go first," and another thinks it's
"first thing's first," as in, "the first thing is first." I cannot find
a resource that provides a definitive answer to this.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com