re: Carpal Tunnel

Subject: re: Carpal Tunnel
From: Greg Holmes <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:14:04 -0400

John Posada wrote:

>So...what have you-guys done when you experienced
>these symptoms? It seems that typing doesn't cause
>me problem, but using my mouse for long periods does.

(I apologize if I missed this from somebody else, or if
it is just too obvious)

Since the keyboard is not bothering you, learn to use
it for *everything that you can*. Yeah, I know, drawing
apps, but unless you do a LOT of graphics that should be
a minimal slice of time.

Learn the keyboard shortcuts for everything, and create
some if you can (Word macros can be excellent for this,
especially if you learn a little VBA). Anything remotely
boilerplate should come from a macro or Autotext type
of thing. Get creative - complex formatting can be
macro-ized too, saving time as well as typing and
mouse clicks.

Ignore those rather convenient studies from Apple
about the mouse being faster. ALT+F+S or CTRL+S is
faster than removing your hand from the keyboard,
moving the mouse to aim the mouse cursor at a little
disk icon, clicking the button, removing your hand,
and returning to the keyboard. I don't care what
they claim to have proved otherwise.

Greg Holmes

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com