re: contract length

Subject: re: contract length
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:47:23 -0700

James Barrow wrote:
<<By the end of our conversation, I had changed my opinion of her and
thought maybe she had 'been there, done that' long enough to know the ropes.
So I authorized her to submit me to Honda.

After a few weeks, I contacted her to get the status. When she didn't
respond, I wasn't sure if she had submitted me or not, so I went with the
next recruiter that called. What ended up happening was the first recruiter
was incredibly slow, and had simply waited two weeks to submit me...at the
same time that the second recruiter submitted me.

Honda tossed out my resume thinking that I was 'pay rate shopping'.>>

Yes. Three things actually happened here: one is that you got a marketing
person who wasn't very good at her job. There's no excuse for her being
slow. It's always competitive, even when you think you "have an in."

Secondly, it appears that Honda has a "preferred vendor" process. This is
the bane, in my opinion, of the free-market system. Some purchasing agents
try to make technical writing a "commodity" issue, and the preferred vendor
process reinforces that approach. There is no room for quality, creativity
or innovation in that process. I guess we all can guess where I stand on
this issue! :)

Thirdly, submission of your resume in an uncontrolled fashion is a deadly
sin. Your logic was correct (since you hadn't heard from the first
recruiter). Because you didn't know the recruiter very well, however, you
couldn't count on what she'd done for you. Good firms should report back to
you what they've done on your behalf. The not so good ones will provide you
with an experience like the one you've had. In your place, because of what I
know as member of this business, I would have passed on the second
recruiter, even though it might mean missing the opportunity. When you
submit your resume with more than one firm for the same position, many
companies will jump to the conclusion Honda did. It isn't fair, but it's
real. It is also sort of a "damned if you do, damned it you don't" kind of
decision, but this isn't an easy life in an easy economy.

The next one will go better. It's another learning curve. :)

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
Michaels & Associates, LLC
11639 E. Wethersfield Rd.