RE: Pagination issues - pros & cons

Subject: RE: Pagination issues - pros & cons
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:45:51 +0200

Eric,

I have always looked at chapter-based pagination as something that would
only be worthwhile in loose-leaf publication, but both your and Bonnie's
comments are well worth thinking about.

Regarding the generation of the XML data:

In a pre-formatting step the wrappers defining conditionality around all
paragraphs, images, tables etc in the XML data for a specific product
platform are checked against a small configuration file which tells if a
condition is true or false for a specific product model within this
product platform.

After that step, the resulting XML data is formatted using XSL-FO and
XEP from RenderX.

Sincerely,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager
www.flirthermography.com

> That might be a very compelling reason to use chapter-page numbering.
> Revision wouldn't affect the pagination in other chapters, so
> it would be
> easier for technical support to guide different users if the
> whole manual
> isn't repaginated.
>
> But, it depends how you're generating your output from your XML
> repository.
>
> I do agree with Bonnie's contention about the usefulness of chapter
> numbers. When I frequently use a reference book, I often scan
> headings to
> locate the chapter first if the page numbering is unhelpfully
> page number
> only.
>
> Eric L. Dunn
> Senior Technical Writer