Re: Allocated chapter numbers for specific chapter content

Subject: Re: Allocated chapter numbers for specific chapter content
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:16:28 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 09/17/2004 06:49:54 AM:
> For example, it might be difficult to foresee what kind of
> chapters one would need for new products

Depends on your industry. Seeing as Aviation was mentioned, consider that
the chapter numbering for EVERY aircraft is the same. Fighter aircraft
have chapters for toilets and galleys. Or, more correctly the chapter
numbering in their manual sets skips those chapters (I'm not certain if
there are place holders of not).

In the railway industry, the requirements are less standardised, but it is
easily possible to identify all possible permutations of systems/chapters.
Just the specific of the content changes.

Surely even in consumer based software, there's a generalised
approach/outline that can work in most cases.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com