Re: RE: Recommendations for helping computer phobics

Subject: Re: RE: Recommendations for helping computer phobics
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:38:35 -0400

It's been a long time since I've run into that problem, but I taught
word processing back in the early 80s and ran into a lot of resistance
to technology back then. It's isn't easy to overcome.

First, make sure they understand the benefit they'll receive from
using the technology. If it makes their jobs easier, and the
benefit is immediately apparent, the transition will be easier.
If, however, you can't show them an immediate benefit, coaxing
them to use the technology will be that much harder. (In the
old days, one of the first things I demonstrated was the difference
between centering in wp and centering on a typewriter. It was very
effective.)

Second, make sure they get lots of hands-on time for practice.
Once they are absolutely convinced that none of the PCs on the
equipment room floor are directly connected to MX missle sites
in Nebraska, they will be much more accepting. Fear of messing
things up is a major roadblock in converting the techno-phobic.
Once they have made a few mistakes and recovered without major
incident, they'll be much more trusting of the technology.

Perhaps you could conduct a day-long training class - at least
one that's long enough to give the troops some hands-on practice.
After that, give them an incentive to check email every day,
whether it's a joke a day, a contest where the winner gets a
free lunch or a small prize,... You get the idea.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

Original messages:

I've been presented with a group of equipment operators; I'm uncertain
as to their age distribution although our general Site's average age is
above 40. Described as "computer phobic," some are neglecting to sign
onto computer to read e-mail and participate in procedure review
process. (Win2k, Lotus Notes 6 but I don't think that the particular
OS/e-mail system is the challenge ... it's not having basic computer
skills.) Any
advice as to materials/techniques I can use in coaching this group? I
am
googling but I would love to hear from others who have been in similar
situation who'd be willing to share.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com