References

Subject: References
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:49:54 -0700

Thank you to everyone who posted comments regarding Contract Length. Time for a new quasi-problem.

I worked on a contract position that lasted three years (2001-2004.) During that time I kept my resume updated, but lost track of my tried and true references. Some of them moved up, some moved on, some moved away.

Since that long term contract position, I have held to contract positions that were each five weeks in length. The twist here is that the project managers for each of these contracts were also contractors.

As I'm again in a position where I have to get my resume out there to find another position, I'm coming up short on references. I have one solid 'supervisor' reference, and several coworker references.

I've considered contacting the companies that I have worked for and speaking to the manager that took over for my reference. Maybe ask them to review the work that I had done and ask if they would be willing to be a reference. I've also thought about tracking down the references that moved on. Any suggestions on how to build a reliable pool of references?

- Jim

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com