Re: Font Fondlers - The US Presidental Election Is in Your Hands!

Subject: Re: Font Fondlers - The US Presidental Election Is in Your Hands!
From: Joe <jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:00:46 -0400

Hi David,

Sadly, you chose a public forum to air non-tech writer content. I responded to your first message privately, not noticing that you had sent the note to the list as well as to me. Bad form. My original note was to balance the anti-Kerry comment with a mild balancing note, and to try to get the conversation back on track...something this group apparently has problems with.

At any rate, your comments about the election are simply false. They parrot right-wing lies. Instead, know that the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center (NORC) conducted a study which concluded that in at least four different recount scenarios, Gore emerged the winner of the disputed election. The NORC study was sponsored by news organizations including the Associated Press, The New York Times, CNN, Washington Post, Co., Tribune Publishing (which owns the Chicago Tribune, Orlando Sentinel, and South Florida Sun-Sentinel), and The Wall Street Journal itself. According to a November 12, 2001, Washington Post article on NORC's findings, "[I]f Gore had found a way to trigger a statewide recount of all disputed ballots, or if the courts had required it, the result likely would have been different. An examination of uncounted ballots throughout Florida found enough where voter intent was clear to give Gore the narrowest of margins."

The false claim that Barnes' statement that he helped Bush (ok--how's that?) get into the Air Guard conradicts earlier statements is also simply not true. In 1999, Barnes said the same thing that he did this month: that he helped the young, wild, partying Bush get into a cush unit ahead of many others who were on the waiting list. As for using Molly Ivins' sardonic cognomen for the annointed president, does anyone remember the moniker "Slick Willie"? How "respectful" was that?

Sorry, Eric, but I didn't think it fair for David to toss his mistruths and parrotted inuendo without response. I will however make this my last comment on the subject.

I will quote Eliza Gilkyson's fabulous song, "Hiway 9" and be gone:

Well, the white god said to the little man
we're gonna fulfill scripture in the holy land
between the Tigris and Euphrates, it's a lot like hell
go on and liberate my people and the o-i-l.

Got your big trucks rollin' down hiway 9
put on the armor, it's party time
gonna dance with the devil of our own design
get your big trucks rollin' down hiway 9.

So the little man gathered all his chicken-hawks in
and the neo-cons and his daddy's kin
With their own clear channel and a helluva spin
and a white man hidden in a black man's skin.

Big trucks rollin' down hiway 9
pulverize the public, it's payback time
who's tax dollar is it? your's and mine
keeps the big trucks rollin' down hiway 9.

Well we got caught sleepin at the sentry post
now we're standing toe to toe with what we feared the most
that old father and his son and the unheavenly host
We gotta do what we can and don't give up the ghost

Big trucks rollin' down hiway 9
food and water and an Internet line
run to the polls when it comes a time
cause the big trucks rollin' down hiway 9.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com