Re: Updating Resume?

Subject: Re: Updating Resume?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:31:46 -0700

If all your contract work is essentially similar in nature, summarize
your services and achievements for all clients as if they are a single
employer (or better yet, devise a name for your contracting business
and list it as your employer), then provide a list of clients as part of
the details.

Most people viewing a resume start to zone out after the second
page, and hardly anyone is going to be interested in what you were
doing more than 10 years ago (there will be occaisional exceptions
to this, of course). What I did when I was looking was to create
my "complete" resume (about five pages long), then define categories
for each type of work I might be looking for and ruthlessly delete the
least effective three pages worth of material to create a two-page
resume tailored to suit each category.

Gene Kim-Eng