RE: Updating Resume?

Subject: RE: Updating Resume?
From: Michael Strickland <Mstrickland -at- entriq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:42:48 -0700

I know I'll get plenty of flack for this from people who have a contrary
opinion, but resumes should be kept to two pages or less. Employers who get
flooded with hundreds of resumes are going to look unkindly at fat resumes
that make that stack grow even taller. If yours is longer than that (six
pages -- YIKES!!), then you haven't done enough self-editing. A resume is a
summary of your experience, not a complete documentation of your entire
career in minute detail. It's to get you in the door, not to get you the
job. After you're in the door, use the interview (and any leave-behinds) to
provide additional levels of detail about your experience.

IMHO, if you have a contrary opinion, you might be a little out of touch
with what most employers want in a resume. Just Google "resume writing" and
see what the experts have to say on the subject.

As an aside, there is no excuse for any of us, as writers/editors, to have
even a single typo on our resumes. My boss ix-nayed a candidate for a tech
writer position just yesterday because her resume contained more than a
couple of typos.

p.s. I guess clicking Send will reveal to me whether or not my posting
privileges have been reinstated after my scandalous job posting last
week....