Re: similar, yet different

Subject: Re: similar, yet different
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

----------------------------
Lisa wrote:
Hard copy and pdf. Most people will get both modules, but the option
for just one (or starting with just one and adding the other later) is
available.
----------------------------

Hard copy? You're just saying that to be difficult. hehe :-)

If you're using Frame, you should be write the entire manual and then use conditional text to tag the content that will be for the second module. You would then be able to create two different documents (one for just the first module and one for both modules). I'm not sure on the time it would take to do this, as I haven't done it before (I've done a lot of single-sourcing in RoboHelp and HTML though).

If you're using Word, I suppose it's possible. Don't know though. I did a quick google, and the first hit was this TECHWR-L thread:

http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/archives/0201/techwhirl-0201-02105.html

Anyway, conditional text is the way to go on this. Check the archives because I'm sure there are instructions, or at the very least hints, on this. I think an additional booklet/book that explains differences would be hard to follow or understand from a user's perspective.

I suppose that this advice is also assuming that the differences between having the first module and having the both modules merit the effort. If there are only a couple of minor differences, then an appendix (or perhaps a sidebar) explaining those differences would be enough.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

--- Lisa Bronson <lisa -dot- infocus -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com