Re: PowerPoint navigation tools

Subject: Re: PowerPoint navigation tools
From: j -dot- reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:35:37 +0200

Glenda,

> Some of the analysts (who are both contributors and salespeople) have
now
decided that I should manually number slides with chapter#-page# (i.e.,
...8-12, 8-13, 9-1, 9-2,...) at the bottom of each slide. The prospect of
pasting text boxes on the bottom of each and every one of the thousands of
slides we produce fills me with dread--for the initial effort, for the
updating effort as we get add'l data, and for the possibility of error it
introduces.

In PowerPoint 2000, there is the possiblity to insert a footer in a
document which can include "Date & Time" (automatic update if wished), a
freely definable text and the slide number.

> * I've tried typing up a Table of Contents into a slide (as it is fairly
static from one quarter to the next) and hyperlinking those entries to
slides, but the links only work when people are looking at the report in
presentation mode, which doesn't happen; they typically just open the
report
as a PPT file.

A solution to this would be to be able to set the initial view of the
presentation to presentation mode. Up until PP2000 this is not available.
BUT you could try to write a VBA macro that executes at opening the
presentation and sets the view (perhaps even with a user dialog letting
them choose what to do - read or edit).
Sadly, there is no standard event "on_open" available (as it is in Excel).
Nontheless, knowing the MS Office applications,there should be a way to do
this.
If you want to explore this and don't have anyone available with VBA
experience, I could look into it. But it would take a week or two.

Hope this helps,

JensR

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com