RE: Asking for Author Credit In The Documentation?

Subject: RE: Asking for Author Credit In The Documentation?
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- aps -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:09:23 -0700

Interesting topic. In most instances, I haven't gotten author credit
for my work, except when I have written my occasional technical article.
I don't do this near enough, tending to spend my "off work" writing time
on more frivolous projects like music...

In most cases, though I have had ownership of the work, including
coordinating the schedule, getting the reviews from the proper folks,
and even sometimes production and publishing. In my current job I have
authorship but the documents are actually owned by the SMEs. These are
not necessarily techies; the documents are process documents, so they
tend to be owned by manager types or high-level engineers responsible
for policies and processes. I find the set-up a little difficult to
manage, as I don't really have ownership of the work, but still have to
be responsible for the quality of the document.

The ways I have worked around this so far are to keep in touch with my
document owner, make suggestions as to how to handle the reviews,
request to see/hear about all the reviews, etc.

Rosie Wilcox

Rose A. Wilcox
Center for Process Excellence, CHQ 8th Floor
602-250-3195
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- aps -dot- com
"10. How often feelings are circular. How embarrassing to appear
embarrassed. How annoying to be annoyed."
-James Richardson "Vectors 2.0: More Aphorisms and Ten-Second Essays"

"MMS <apsc.com>" made the following annotations.
--- NOTICE ---
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain confidential, privileged or proprietary information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original and any copy or printout. Unintended recipients are prohibited from making any other use of this e-mail. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, we accept no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments, or for any delay or errors or omissions in the contents which result from e-mail transmission.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com