Re: leading into a list

Subject: Re: leading into a list
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:22:13 -0400

I agree with what you say, but must note that none of your examples
include what is being asked about, a comma at the end of the text that
introduces the list. Are you supporting the idea that the following is
at equally acceptable, or are you implying it is less so:

The house is:

â Large
â White
â Victorian
â Too close to the road

More than that, it's steps, too.

To install the widget:

1) Do this.
2) Do that.
3) Do t'other.

The punctuation in the step or bullet item itself is not the
question--parallelism rules! Oy!--the question is the text that
introduces the list of steps or bullets, colon or no? The Heading
cop-out is a red herring.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:08:03 -0400, Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

<snipmeister>

> There are two general ways to approach lists. One way is to treat a
> typical list as a long sentence with inserted line breaks and dots. You
> will see this in publications that are "conservative" in their editorial
> approach in general. That's a polite way of saying stuffy or stodgy.
>
> In this approach, seen fairly often in legal documents and presidential
> proclamations, each list entry ends with the appropriate punctuation and
> begins with a lowercase letter unless the list consists of complete
> sentences or paragraphs.

<snippitysnap>

> The house is
>
> â large,
> â white,
> â Victorian,
> â and too close to the road;

<snippage>

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com