Re: Silly but important to me - another twist

Subject: Re: Silly but important to me - another twist
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:16:30 -0400

Martinek, Carla wrote:
> [...]

If you are going to tell a reader where something is, it's not real
helpful to put it after you tell them what to do with it. You lose the
reader when you start talking about something that they haven't a clue
about. Why force them to read through an instruction that is meaningless
to them first? Tell them where the thing is first.

> If they don't know where the part is, then the supporting text
> provides the information they need.

Why should a reader have to plow through a meaningless instruction in
the hope that *maybe* the writer might tell them where the thing is
located?

It's a matter of writing for
> your audience, and also of stylistic choices.

Consideration of your audience means telling them where things are
located BEFORE you tell them what to do with them.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Mobile: 617-319-7461