Re: "This page intentionally left blank"

Subject: Re: "This page intentionally left blank"
From: cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:20:16 -0600

"Rubbish" eh? Somebody needs a hug!!

Maybe I'm missing a subtle nuance on this, but it seems obvious that in a
manual created by a word processing app, footers and headers on a page
mean the page isn't blank, so if there's no content on the page other than
the headers/footers it has to be intentional. I can't imagine how a WP doc
could be printed with headers/footers while magically dropping out the
procedural content. So if you accept that that's true, why be anal and add
the TPILB statement?

Some companies don't use footers for really short manuals and in those
cases, a blank page might be an accident and since there are no cues to
indicate otherwise, it makes sense to use the TPILB statement.

Regards,
Chris
TopTechWriter.US
http://www.toptechwriter.us
Award-winning technical writing and illustration services.

> bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 09/02/2004 12:31:12 PM:
>
> > Are there headers and footers on the page? If so then it's
> > not blank, so you don't need the TPILB statement. If there areen't any
> > and the page is indeed blank, such a statement is probably needed.
>
> Rubbish. If the standard documentation was once printed on preprinted
> letterhead that argument is dead wrong and is a simple pedantic argument
> about "when is blank not blank".
>
> In a format where there are extensive headers and footers on every page, a
> white and completely blank page is an obvious error. But a page that is
> simply blank in the procedure holding area is much more difficult to
> determine if it is blank on purpose or by accident.
>

> Eric L. Dunn
> Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com