Re: Silly but important to me - another twist

Subject: Re: Silly but important to me - another twist
From: TecWriter1 -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:43:51 -0400

I was pondering this same question a little while ago...

In Joe's case, I definitely support the format of:

#. ACTION.
Result.

I like to see the action to be performed as the numbered step, and anything else as indented text below.

To expand on this, where do most of you think supporting/descriptive text for a procedure should go? In our equipment instructions, there is usually no "result" to report. It's
"remove the thingy" or
"insert the thingamajig into the whatchamacallit."

The supporting text might be something such as
"The thingy is located in the upper right corner of the control panel."

A. ACTION.
Supporting text.

B. ACTION. Supporting text.

And, in the rare care that there is a result to report, which format do you prefer to use or see?

1. ACTION. Supporting text.
Result.

2. ACTION. Result.
Supporting text.