Re: Silly but important to me

Subject: Re: Silly but important to me
From: Greg Holmes <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 06:00:29 -0400

Rose Wilcox wrote:

>The verb form of display has added an intransitive
>forms as per:
>
>Dictionary.com
>Source: The American Heritage(r) Dictionary of
>the English Language,

(snip)

>dis*play ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-spl)
>v. dis*played, dis*play*ing, dis*plays
>v. tr.
>
>To present or hold up to view.
(snip)

>v. intr.
>Computer Science. To provide information or
>graphics on a screen: a personal computer that
>displays and prints.

Hmm, that addition seems ... wrong, somehow.
There is an *implied* object; the computer isn't
just "displaying", it is displaying windows, and
such. And printing ... documents, on paper.

A window that wasn't there before, on the other
hand, may be "displaying" data, but that isn't
really what distinguishes it from it's former
state of non-existence. "Appears" just seems
more appropriate to me, somehow.

(cue all the hard-nosed business talk about how
this doesn't matter ... with which I agree, for the
most part)

Greg Holmes

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com