FW: Silly but important to me

Subject: FW: Silly but important to me
From: "Links, Diederik" <D -dot- Links -at- hde -dot- nl>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:11:18 +0200

Joe,

What about this:

3. Highlight the item you want to work with.

4. Press F4. The Customer Service Request window (Figure 18) appears.

I learned to seperate the steps. If an actions has a result, as in step
4, that result (must be) in the same paragraph. You can choose whether
to write it after the period, or move it to the next line (I prefer the
last one).

Hope this helps.

Diederik Links

::
::OK, I know this request for opinion (RFO) is probably silly...but I'm
::trying to be consistent and also helpful to my readers.
::Here's the issue:
::
::I am writing procedures. I'm looking for which of the two
::approaches is
::best, primarily from an info design/doc design viewpoint:
::
::3. Highlight the item you want to work with and then press F4. The
::Customer Service Request window (Figure 18) appears.
::
::OR
::
::3. Highlight the item you want to work with and then press F4.
:: The Customer Service Request window (Figure 18) appears.
::
::So the issue is, would you let the action/result appear in the same
::paragraph (list number style, for example), or would you have
::the result
::appear in the next paragraph in another style (body indent,
::in my case)?
::Benefits of the first approach: It unifies the action/result
::construct and
::also reduces the list of actions. It preserves space.
::Benefits of the second approach: It segregates the imperative
::action from
::the declarative description of the result. It allows for space.
::
::Any comments or suggestions one way or the other?
::
::TIA,
::
::joe