Re: Previous employer contacts

Subject: Re: Previous employer contacts
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

<peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message news:248057 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I'm certain employment laws differ from state to state, and I am not
> asking for opinions on whether this is legal. I would like to know if
> anyone can tell me what is the benefit of having an applicant sign this?

Consent to contact your references. It clears them from any legal liability
surrounding contacting your references. If you don't want somebody contacted
about your work history, don't list them.

I'd say the benefit of signing this is that you'll stand a chance to get the
job. If you don't sign it, your application will probably be ignored or
rejected.

> Second question: I see online applications asking for one's SS#. Do
> employers really believe this is an acceptable risk for applicants to type
> their SS# into an online form? Do any of you do that?

Is the session encrypted? If so, then its about as safe as any on-line
retailer. SSL isn't a totally secure protocol (since you can see the contents
on either end). But its as safe as it gets for basic web forms.

If its not secure, then I wouldn't use it.

Andrew Plato

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com