Re: Previous employer contacts

Subject: Re: Previous employer contacts
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:57:35 -0700

Hi Bob,
I'd say that your privacy was seriously compromised, your financial security put at risk, and your HR department was negligent. That said, many universities also used SSN as an identifier. Hopefully the rise in identity theft is making all organizations aware of what a bad idea it is to use SSN. If an AOL employee can sell a roster of millions of email addresses to spammers, I'm guessing that SSNs and names would garner a fair price.

It is ridiculously easy for a company to generate a random number for employee/customer/user identifiers. Of course, your HR department does have to use your SSN to report wages and so on, but it should be very careful about how it handles that information. If your HR department is publicizing SSNs, it may be legal for you to insist on an alternative.

FWIW, I was on a client site a couple of days ago, looking through their online email address book to find job titles, and I was astonished at the amount of personal information that employees had entered in there (whether the company or the employee entered the information I could not determine). SSNs, spouse and children's names, birth dates for all, home addresses. Everything a thief could want.

I do fall into the seriously paranoid camp when it comes to personal information. The book "Google Hacks" has some great examples of the kinds of information you can get through a simple query, including from files that you would think are protected behind company firewalls. THEY'RE NOT. I bet Andrew Plato can tell plenty of stories from his security audits.

Lisa

written_by -at- juno -dot- com wrote:

Second question: I see online applications asking for one's SS#.

Do

employers really believe this is an acceptable risk for applicants

to type

their SS# into an online form? Do any of you do that?

Gosh, where I once worked, every employee's SSN was publicly displayed
and available to any employee who cared to look. Our HR department
demanded that we use the SSN as an ID number. What do you make of that?

Bob

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com