Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards

Subject: Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards
From: written_by -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:54:09 -0600

> Well, here's the question: if you pull on the side of the door, how
> do
> you decide which side to pull on if there are no obvious
> affordances?
> How many times will you have to "try the other side" before you get
> annoyed?

Well, you try the other side. Usually, it only takes one tug to open the
door, regardless of how the refrigerator is designed to be opened. If the
user still can't open the door, they might have larger issues. I can open
my refer by pulling at the top of the door, at the center.

I am not so sure the refrigerator example is a good one for the sake of
this discussion, because a refrigerator is something everyone can open.
That is, unless the manufacturer has made it impossible to figure out.
Perhaps opening a refrigerator is something that needs no documentation.

Consider my brother's new microwave oven. To defrost chops and steaks,
you do not press the large green "defrost" button. You press the "chops
and steaks" button. Then you press and hold the "defrost" button and
press the "chops and steaks" button again. Then you press the "start"
button and then you set the defrost time. You then set the power level.
Failure to set the power level cancels out everything and gives you an
error code.

My oven is different. You turn the knob to "defrost," turn the other knob
to the item being defrosted and press "start." My oven does not require
the setting of a power level. My guess is that some lower power level is
automatically set when you use the defrost control.

Bob

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com