RE: Transition from employee to consultant--any gotchas?

Subject: RE: Transition from employee to consultant--any gotchas?
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:48:31 -0500

-----Pam wrote:-----
I don't know about a lump sum severence payment, for I've not seen that
done.

I live in the Midwest, too. When I was laid off back in 2001, I received my severance pay from Motorola in a lump payment. I called the unemployment office to make sure that I could file for unemployment right away, and I was told that I could. I filed the next day and started receiving payments after the required week of waiting time. As I understand it, they look at what you're making currently rather than what you already made, so once that money is in your hands, it doesn't affect your ability to draw unemployment payments.

I'm sure that some employers spread the payments out on purpose to delay your ability to collect unemployment payments. If you can't draw for an extra two weeks or a month as you collect your severance pay, you're that much closer to finding your next job, and they have that much less unemployment insurance to worry about. (Don't know if I phrased that exactly right, but you get the drift.)

Donna

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com