Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards

Subject: Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:17:46 -0700

Bonnie Granat wrote:

Chuck Martin wrote:

Far from vague, the terminology is not only accurate, but it
encompasses the entirety of the discipline much better than
"technical writer."

If your audience is made of technical communicators, great. Maybe they
will speak your brand of professional jargon. Maybe not.

But if your audience is made up of people who are not in the same field,
or not in the world of software, in which technical communication jargon
is known, the term "User Assistance & Experience Engineer" is so vague
as to be meaningless. Your explanations, which used terminology from the
field of technical communication, only solidify my opinion.

This thread was about business cards and job title nomenclature. If you
never want to work outside of a company that understands the narrow
jargon represented by "User Assistance & Experience Engineer," then
you're all set. But such a title on a business card is going to
severely limit the card's usefulness in communicating with audiences
that are more general.

Many everyday terms in common use by the general public were once jargon. This is a case where I'm among the leaders toward enlightenment. Such terms can and do open others' eyes, and I see no benefit in limiting the scope of what I can do in this field because a particular audience is behind the curve. I'll make the educational effort and bring more people up to a higher and more expansive standard.

My own experience is that "user assistance engineer" has opened more doors than "technical writer."

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com