Re: We capitalize place names

Subject: Re: We capitalize place names
From: Zola <zola -at- zolaweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:59:06 -0400

At 09:40 PM 8/20/2004, written_by -at- juno -dot- com babbled happily:

We capitalize place names, do we not? Isn't the internet a place? After
all, we visit there, we surf there, we build our "homes" there, our homes
are invaded and burgled there, we relocate from one domain place to
another, and we spend money there. The Internet is just like the place I
live in, which is capitalized.

Um... actually, no, not unless it is a specific place.

So:

I like libraries, I found a great book at Anytown Public Library
I like to visit the city, especially Boston.
I've stayed at many hotels, my favorite was the Hilton Hotel at Logan Airport. I really hate waiting at the airport, though.

;)

Under this convention, you should not capitalize internet at all unless you were speaking of a specific internet like the World Wide Web.

My two cents on it, anyway.

INTP
Generation X
68.44181% - Geek Goddess

"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all things are at risk. It is as when a conflagration has broken out in a great city, and no man knows what is safe, or where it will end."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com