Re: Internet or internet?

Subject: Re: Internet or internet?
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:04:41 -0400

Michael Strickland wrote:

Let me word my rhetorical question more clearly:

"When is 'Web' NOT part of the more official entity, World Wide Web?"
and

The Wired article states, "Web will continue to be capitalized when
part of the more official entity, World Wide Web." My question: when
is it not?

A web doesn't have to have anything to do with the vast, interlinked monster we call the World Wide Web. Hyperlinked documents on an intranet are still web pages (within a web) and you view them in a web browser but it's not part of the World Wide Web because the world can't view them.

You can also have an internet (a collection of networks) that's not part of "the" Internet.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com