Re: RoboHelp For FrameMaker Discontinued -- Please Help Us Save It

Subject: Re: RoboHelp For FrameMaker Discontinued -- Please Help Us Save It
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:25:44 -0400

> In late 2003, eHelp Corporation unveiled RoboHelp for FrameMaker, a tool
> that single sources FrameMaker books with unrivalled speed and
> efficiency, and complete preservation of all the elements in FrameMaker
> documents.

Well, that's simply untrue that RHF is "unrivalled". WebWorks
Publisher Professional has been around for many years, rivals RHF in
speed when it comes to large, complex document conversions, and also
preserves the FM source files.

> RHF, as we fans call it, is a supra-intelligent, speedy tool
> that interacts in real time with FrameMaker and is far superior to its
> competition, WebWorks Publisher.

OK, I'd love to hear how it is far superior. Please add fact to your
claim to validate it. I can say the RHF GUI was a bit more
user-friendly than WWP's, but after that both perform essentially the
same tasks, with WWP leading in the large document conversion speeds.
I own both products.

> Anthony Olivier, Senior Vice President, Macromedia announced the demise
> of RHF on July 30, 2004. Those of us with maintenance plans can upgrade
> free to RoboHelp x5, which will never offer similar integration with
> FrameMaker.

You can also get support for a period of time as well, right? And the
product will always work as it does now, right? And Quadralay is
offering a competitive upgrade, right?

> A dedicated group called the RHF Mutineers wants Macromedia to reinstate
> RoboHelp for FrameMaker or allow someone to purchase it and give it the
> new home it deserves. Microsoft and its Solution Partners have a vested
> interest in discontinuing products like RHF. Please dont let it happen.

OK, I'll bite. Why does Microsoft and its solution partners have a
vested interest in seeing this product and those like it discontinued?
Do you have the facts to back up this rather steaming allegation?

> The RHF Mutineers need the support of everyone who has ever tried to
> convert large FrameMaker projects into online help. We need you to:

I do it all the time. I bought RHF. I ran it through the paces on a
variety of documents. In the end, it wasn't as efficient as WWP,
DocFrame, or other XML solutions.

> Post to the Adobe feature request site at
> http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html, (please title your post
> RoboHelp for FrameMaker)

I will be amazed if Macromedia sells to Adobe or Adobe requests the
feature functionality from Macromedia. They are direct competitors.
And, Adobe already has a standing deal with Quadralay where they
license and deploy WWP Standard with every seat of FrameMaker sold.

I look forward to your reply and the facts to back up your statements.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com