Re: describing the minority as literate is a circular argument?

Subject: Re: describing the minority as literate is a circular argument?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:17:00 -0700

I wouldn't argue this point in a discussion of language in general, but within
the narrower
subject of technical writing./communication, I would. Whether you're creating
documents
in English or a different language, deviating from the "standard" grammar for
the source
language does impede effective communication, not to mention the obvious
difficulties
when the material is fed into the various translation tools that have become
today's
standards for globalizing information. Most of us are "bilingual" to some
extent, in that
we may use various dialects of our primary language conversationally but conform
"standard" when we write professionally. The ability to do that is one of the
skills that
distinguish us as communications professionals from those who are not.

Gene Kim-Eng