RE: regarding the pardoning of her french

Subject: RE: regarding the pardoning of her french
From: "diotima" <diotima -at- myway -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:31:02 -0400 (EDT)

all,

amazingly enough, i was finally able to retrieve my original response to bonnie's and nosnivel's response to my original post. although anachronistic by now, i think my points are still valid. because of this email snafu, i've spent far more time on this task than i ever intended. so if emails proliferate further on the subject, i probably won't participate.

following is my original repsonse to bonnie, nosnivel, and others interested:

nosnivel,

sue was not using the phrase "a la mode" nor the phrase "a la carte." sue was using the phrase "a la x" where x is going to be an english word. there is a difference.

if she is intending to say "a la mode," that is fine. if she is intending to say "a la microsoft word," i would question (not condemn, merely question) her choice of words. somehow (and sue please correct me if i'm wrong) i don't think her whitepaper is about ice cream and pie. but that's just a guess on my part.

even if "in the manner of" is "shoddy" or "not used in american english" as someone else has said (huge if, but let's just grant it), how about the word "like"? or "the way that..."? the point is that "a la/in the manner of" can be said in a variety of ways in english. "a la mode" and "a la carte," however, are unique. but i don't think sue was asking how to write "a la carte" in her whitepaper.

cheers,

rhetorica

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com