regarding the pardoning of her french

Subject: regarding the pardoning of her french
From: "diotima" <diotima -at- myway -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:51:26 -0400 (EDT)

all,

the answers to sue's questions were fine and good, but i'm surprised that no one asked sue why she was using a french phrase in a (presumably) english-language whitepaper for a (presumably) english-speaking audience. even if my presumptions are incorrect, the question should still be asked a technical communicator.

why use the french phrase when, for example, "in the manner of" may not only suffice, but be more readily understood by her audience?

now, of course, it is entirely possible that one of the stated purposes of her whitepaper is to make an appeal to the connotations her audience has with things french (exotic, sophisticated, elegant, or being decidedly unimpressed with a certain united states president...). a conscious marketing tactic would certainly justify that. (all is fair in marketing and war, n'est-ce pas?) or maybe the french phrase, like mine within the previous parentheses, is simply intended as a pleasing irony.

-rhetorica

diotima -at- myway -dot- com

I'm editing a whitepaper that uses the French phrase "a la" as

in "pie a la mode" and I'm fairly certain that the first "a" gets an accent mark, but I'm not sure if it should be à (ascii 0224) or á (ascii 0225). Can someone please provide the

answer? I have absolutely no knowledge of French to draw on.

Thanks a million!

-Sue Gallagher

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com