RE: Re: Dorky grammar question

Subject: RE: Re: Dorky grammar question
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:30:58 -0600

> Perhaps Mandy can provide us with the rest of the sentence? Her original
> message only provides the beginning fragment.

Heya Wr-lers,
Wow, piles of responses, vociferous debates, some anti-grammar trolling,
and even a few "it depends"--I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for having
opened this kettle of worms. If in future years, newbies ask a question
and get the "Uh, have you search the archives for the "set of Rules"
discussion? No? Pfft, go there." response, I'll feel I've been
immortalized.

So, the entire sentence was from an explanation of permissions setting,
where a rule or rules can be applied to a user group. The complete
sentence is "A set of rules that defines who can do what."

So, it probably is more technically correct to say "Rules that blah de
blah". However, since I was just editing for someone else and I'd already
changed the sentence from "set of rules which define" (which
Written_by_Bubba_Joe probably also unnerstan's jes' fine) AND I'd already
busted all over the rest of his document, I went with "set of rules". If
my poor little edotist (being the sub to the dominant editrix) isn't
looking too bruised on Monday, I'll suggest the further simplification to
"rules"

Oh, and my mom did weigh in with an answer--"set of rules that
defines"--and if anyone asks, she's the one who gave me the correct
answer. I know which side the will is buttered on ;)

Thanks for the lively afternoon and Happy Friday y'all--now go home and
stop thinking about rules in sets or otherwise

Editrixily,
Mandy

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com