RE: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers

Subject: RE: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers
From: "Rob Partridge" <rob -at- holly -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:42:45 +1000

I feel your pain regarding acronyms Lyndsey.

Working on a presentation recently about our technology I was given a slide to 'clean up' by the engineers. The slide featured three acronyms that I didn't know. I asked the engineer who gave it to me, who also didn't know. I asked around, and after an hour or so of googling around and checking online references we had some definitions. However, when I finally got through to the person who originally put together the content, it turned out that the definitions were totally wrong! I recast the slide removing the ambiguous acronyms and in the end everyone was happy.

My first reaction to hearing someone talk in acronyms is to ask "what's that mean?", "what's that?" until they expand their speech. It's amazing how often people don't know what the acronyms mean, even on a general level.

Rob