Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community - a new idea

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community - a new idea
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:11:26 -0400

Solena -dot- LEMOIGNE -at- fr -dot- thalesgroup -dot- com wrote:
> M. Bill Hall wrote:
>>
>> Although I am not a formal member of any of its member organizations,
>> I believe that Techwr-l would fit well within its primary purpose:
>>

> To which Mrs Bonnie Granat answered :
>
> "That site is filled with errors, inconsistencies, and other signs
> that
> it needs the professional attention of a couple of good writers and an
> editor."
>

> Although it is true that a professional organisation for technical
> communication should be an example for others to follow, does your
> remark mean that the site's purpose, intentions, participants were
> lost amidst the errors?

Yes.

> In short, did the typos get in your way of understanding the content?

It's far more than just typos. It's the organization, the content, and
the writing itself. If it were just a typo or two, I wouldn't have
commented at all.

> Would you care to volunteer some of your time to help Intecom reach
> the quality it should set? If you could spare just one hour per week
> to proofread the site, you would bring a fair value to this
> organisation.

I would be happy to help, but it would require a lot more than
proofreading and would not be something I could do for you overnight. It
would take time, and I would need more information about the
organization. I would also need access to someone who would be willing
and able to answer my questions about the organization.

> If you do not wish to do so, then do not bash in public an
> organisation that is trying to get some work done.

That organization was suggested as a possible sponsor of this list. I
was not bashing. I was raising an objection. The moment an organization
is suggested as a candidate to be associated with this list, it is fair
game for comment.

> The German branch is hosting every year the biggest technical
> communication event in Europe (3 days, more than a hundred speeches,
> thousands of visitors). It has actively been promoting a European
> work on the quality of goods documentation. The result is a white
> paper that is en route to be adopted as a law in all european states.
> Intecom works with all organisations of good will, and should be
> considered as such.

I am sure its intentions are quite laudable, but somehow the Board of
Officers did not apply the most fundamental tenets of the profession to
the Web site.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Technical Editing and Writing / Cambridge, Mass.
617-319-7461

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com