RE: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: RE: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:20:59 -0400

At 9:27 AM -0500 2004/08/05, Jones, Donna wrote:

No disrespect to Eric or Deb, but people aren't going to pay to use
this list. That's what makes some of the STC SIG lists have such low traffic
as to be worthless (and you have to pay to join the SIG before you can find
out whether it's worth joining).

Not necessarily. I've checked out several SIGs by contacting the SIG president or membership manager (the names are available even to non-members on the STC web site). In most cases, they've sent me one or more issues of the SIG newsletter, subscribed me to their email discussion list, and introduced me to several SIG members who live in my area. Some of the SIGs proved interesting enough for me to plunk down the SIG membership fee. Others turned out not to be as useful for me as I expected.

Frankly, the Consultants & Independent Contractors SIG, the Management SIG, and the Lone Writers SIG are each worth the whole annual Society membership fee for me. When I did a lot of procedure writing, the Policies and Procedures SIG was worth its weight in computer chips. At various times, I've felt the same way about other SIGS. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd want this list to be under the auspices of any bureaucracy, STC or corporate. Eric has spoiled me.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com