Brainstorming ideas?

Subject: Brainstorming ideas?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:58:24 -0400

Steven Goldstein wonders: <<My company manufactures products that are sold internationally and installed through a dealer network. These dealers have technicians on staff that are responsible for installing and maintaining my company's products. Therefore, my customers are the dealers and technicians, not the end-users who own my company's products.>>

One thing you didn't mention is whether the techs are responsible for training their customers. If not, that's a large part of your problem right there: "teach a user to fish", and all that. Point out to your dealer network that such training is a value-added service (whether free, as a gesture to earn customer goodwill, or paid, for a nominal fee that covers the dealer's costs), and is provided by many other product vendors in other industries. The more expensive the product, the easier it is to justify a day of training as part of the cost.

Educating the users should quickly reduce the support burden, particularly if your company compiles a list of frequently asked questions from your customers and uses those questions to inform the design of the training package. Incidentally, your company can also sell this training package to the 1500 dealers you mentioned for more than enough to cover the development costs and thereby turn the problem into a profit center. Of course, in an ideal world, you'd use the customer problems to design a better product and minimize tech. support costs that way...

<<Quite simply, the need is to reduce calls coming into Tech Support, and to reduce the duration of the calls that do come into Tech Support.>>

To reduce the need, you can do two things: In the long term, you can redesign the products to be sufficiently usable that support calls decrease greatly in frequency. In the short term, you can reduce the duration of the calls by developing some form of knowledgebase that provides fast, effective access to the answers to the most common questions, and slower but no less effective access to the less-common answers.

<<I will be teaching my technical writing peers how to document an analytical troubleshooting approach that will get the technicians to the root cause of the problem more quickly, with less confusion. This will result in fewer calls to Tech Support. Also, Tech Support will use these new troubleshooting procedures to handle calls that do come in, which will help them reduce the duration of the call.>>

Good start. Depending on the nature of your product, you may also want to make these guides available to the users of the product via your documentatoin. At a minimum, give these people access to troubleshooting information that helps them solve the problems they can easily solve by themselves, but that also clearly indicates when they shouldn't try and should instead call a technician.

<<My customers (the technicians) don't have Internet access when they're on the road, so he wants me to do something like provide all of our product literature (mostly PDF format, and there's a lot of it) on CD-ROM, with an easily navigable user interface so that the technicians can find the documentation they're looking for easily.>>

A better solution is to set up a synchronization system such that when the techs return to the office, they can quickly and easily download the latest solution set to their PDA or laptop. This way, there are no CDs involved (no production and distribution costs), and the support material is as up to date as the technician wants it to be. This approach has become a standard for many companies with large numbers of sales staff (insurance, pharmaceuticals, etc.).

How to synchronize? That's beyond my expertise, but software is certainly available for "managed PCs" (check out the archives at www.pcmag.com) that lets the network manager automatically install software on all PCs on the network. You can probably license such software inexpensively from the developer (most major PC manufacturers) if you can't develop your own solution.

<<I could create an online help project, which would provide the navigation system that allows the technicians to easily find the product documentation they need (I currently author help using RoboHelp X5). But this documentation is constantly being updated, and new documentation is constantly being added to the collection.>>

A "help" project strikes me as a suboptimal approach. Most help files are designed for integration with software, and although they work just fine as standalone applications, they're arguably less efficient than a simpler Web-based design using straight HTML. The main advantage of an HTML approach is that you can create new topics and update old topics without having to recompile the whole help project, and can easily publish the support material on your Web site as a knowledgebase. When installed on a tech's laptop, the tech need only download a few new or changed pages rather than an entire help file. But if the tech is on the road, they can also download the latest update directly from your Web site rather than having to return to the office.

<<[automatic updates] If this is possible, then I might only have to send 1,500 CD-ROMs to the technicians once (to install the first release of the documentation, plus to install the auto-update software).>>

That's a big time and cost saving on your end, and thus, well worth recommending.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com