nag message for updating Reader to v 6

Subject: nag message for updating Reader to v 6
From: mrbassman -dot- 1136710 -at- bloglines -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 3 Aug 2004 19:18:15 -0000

The other PDF creators on my team are going to get Acrobat 6 installed, and
I'm trying to decide how to have them use it. We create PDF files that are
compatible with Reader 5. But we usually have to make small changes to the
PDF file and then save them. As a result, anyone using a version earlier than
6 gets that "This file may contain newer information than this viewer can
support" message.

I know that we can use the PDF Optimizer to re-save the
files as v. 5 compatible, but that can be a pain sometimes. Plus, it's easy
to make mistakes using that tool, such as unembedding fonts or removing named
destinations that may be used by external files. The only option we really
want to use in PDF Optimizer is saving as v 5.

So which option is better?

* Having the PDF creators use PDF Optimizer every time and depend on them
setting the options correctly?

* Having the document readers (clients)
receive that nag message every time they use Reader to view our documents?

For the former solution, I'd create a batch sequence that they could run
on a folder of PDF files. But that's still not very handy.

For the latter
solution, I'd add a note to our documentation help files explaining the nag
message. But I doubt whether very many of them bother to read our help files.

Rick Henkel

http://frameuser.docspages.com

http://frameuser.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com