Re: Help - Salary info

Subject: Re: Help - Salary info
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:22:02 -0400

LOL! But did you remember your asbestos underoos? ;-)

The STC salary survey is useful to see what *some* of the writers out
there are making, but it's not a weight-carrying publication.

Employers usually use data from sources like William M. Mercer,
Incorporated to set ranges based on function, geography, experience,
and education.

So even if the STC survey says there are writers making $85k on
average in one location, that doesn't mean it's the norm, nor does it
mean you can get/demand that. About.com has some excellent info for
job seekers and hiring managers. I suggest reading both sides in
detail for more info that might help you with your negotiations.

Of note, it is possible to enter a compensation discussion with
STC-gathered data, however, use this as a starting point and not the
grounds for supported argument. Any company can challenge those
numbers and easily discredit them. "How was the data gathered? Oh,
response to a survey? How many responded? Only 6 in this area? That
doesn't paint a realistic picture." But, the company may be willing to
entertain the request and perhaps adjust their ranges. I wouldn't bank
on it, but it can't hurt to try, provided you don't place more
emphasis and faith on the survey results than they're worth.

Really, the STC survey is nothing more than a conversation piece.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:16:58 -0500 , Jones, Donna <djones -at- zebra -dot- com> wrote:

> I may hate myself for it later, but I can't resist replying to this. ;-)
>
> One of the items available through the much-hated and maligned STC is its
> annual Technical Communicator Salary Survey, which includes different
> salaries for management and non-management positions and average salaries
> broken down by location. Fortunately, I just happen to be an STC member this
> year (but only because my company picked up the tab, or I wouldn't have
> bothered), so I will forward a copy of the latest survey to the original
> poster of the message to see if it helps answer his/her questions.
>
> Flame away, all you STC haters out there! I'm wearing my flame-retardant
> suit! :-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com