Re: Policies for Subcontracting (Was: Job Banks and STC)

Subject: Re: Policies for Subcontracting (Was: Job Banks and STC)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:36:29 -0700 (PDT)

Lee,

I do not believe it is at all absurd that an agency "demands that you not seek work with one of their clients" if the agency is going to present your bio to that company. When you submit also, the company usually *WILL NOT* hire you for fear of contractual problems with the agency.

In addition, multiple submissions of the same candidate to a particular company by two or more agencies are also anathema to the employers for the same reasons.

Thus, when an agency is going to submit me, I make a deal with them: they inform me of the client company, and I will not apply there nor will I permit another agency to submit me there.

When contracting through an agency, I also have an agreement upfront as to what would happen in case the company wishes to extend an offer to go perm...with any minimum periods, fees to be paid, etc. all determined in advance.

While on the job, I also let the agency know if I hear of other jobs opening up. The agency appreciates it, and of course if they fill the opening I get a referral fee.

Generally, therefore, I am rather popular with the agencies involved. Now, I must once more remind them I'm on the market again...

Regards,

David

"I agree that it's unreasonable, even absurd, for an agency to demand
that you not seek work with any of their clients. This would only make
sense if the agency was actually guaranteeing you work over a very long
period of time. If anyone can promise me that I'd be working steadily at
a reasonable wage, I don't think I'd have a problem. I do think it's
quite sensible for them to have a one-year non-compete clause for the
specific client you're doing work for. Otherwise, there's no way they
could exist as an agency. Their own contractors would always be cutting
them out of the loop."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com