The STC and me? (Take II)

Subject: The STC and me? (Take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:52:05 -0400

John Wilcox observed: <<[Networking] I'd say this is the biggie. Of course, you have to be near a chapter HQ to benefit. And you still have to pay to attend monthly meetings. You do get a discount, but you'd have to attend quite a few to break even on dues.>>

This undoubtedly varies from chapter to chapter, and certainly isn't required by the STC guidelines for the operations of chapters. For example, STC Montreal (of which I just finished my term as president) charges nothing to attend regular meetings, though non-members pay C$5 to help defray the costs of room rentals and the snacks we provide.

If your local chapter charges an attendance fee, ask the hard question: Why? With careful budgeting and some smarts, the chapter rebate should cover most of your meeting costs. We've done a great job (thanks Marielle and Lydia!) of finding inexpensive places to host our meetings, and have thereby saved enough money to be able to afford munchies for all, and even a small honorarium for the speaker. That's despite the fact that we're a smallish (200 members) chapter.

We do charge for some things, but even then, members get a break. For example, we typically offer members a discount of ca. C$50 on the ca. C$200+ cost of a 1-day seminar, and have saved our members C$100 and more by negotiating discounts on seminars given by big-name speakers such as Joann Hackos. We also charge for our networking dinners (2-3 times per year), but purely on a cost-recovery basis. Nonmembers pay a premium of $5 to $10 to cover door prizes or any unexpected costs.

We have a very friendly and welcoming community at STC Montreal, and typically get 20-40 people at each meeting, and more than that at the networking dinners. Everyone is welcome. We periodically offer free admission to students as well, provided that they contact us in advance so we can be sure to have enough food.

<<[Professional Development] I've seen very little offered through STC that wasn't available elsewhere.>>

This depends on what you're looking for. For example, STC's telephone/Web seminars (http://stc.org/seminars.asp) are a great deal. For a cost of US$99 if a member hosts, or US$149 if not, you can have as many people attend as you can pack into a room around a speakerphone. If you can round up 10 people, one of whom is a member, you can attend a ca. 2-hour talk by an expert such as Saul Carliner for US$10 per person. Can't beat that!

<<There is an annual national conference and sometimes a regional conference, and you get a discount on those, but obviously it's a small percentage of the membership who can and do attend.>>

Attendance varies from year to year and region to region, but we typically get at least 2000 people at an annual conference, and potentially hundreds at regional conferences. The quality of the conferences varies; we're working on bumping up the quality of the talks and recruiting speakers for more advanced topics. (I'm managing the writing and editing stem this year, and have made a strong effort to encourage more advanced talks on a topic so we can attract more experienced members.)

<<I found almost nothing in the magazines to be of practical use.>>

Not even my articles? <g> Both publications are a mixed bag, since authors aren't paid. I find that there's usually at least one article that's useful even in a slow issue, though if you're very experienced, you may not find this to be the case. As for the journal, I find that it strikes a nice balance between academic and practical (this has changed enormously for the better about 5? years ago). If, like me, you believe that practice can be improved by a better understanding of theory and research results, you'll find articles in each issue that are both academically rigorous and practically useful.

<<The STC HQ web site says there are over 25,000 members.>>

This varies from year to year; membership has at times been this high, but has also dropped to ca. 16 000 after the dotcom meltdown. Still, that's lots of members!

<<Why would someone pay $140 do join STC and yet not take advantage of a much more practical, useful, and free group?!>>

Well, think of it this way. At STC Montreal, we typically hold 10 meetings in a year, about 8 of which are formal presentations. If half of those are of enough interest for you to attend (and we strive for more than that), that's C$40 you save by being a member, plus we feed you good snacks and send you four newsletters per year. The _Intercom_ subscription is worth ca US$20, and _Tech. Comm._ roughly twice that (working from memory here, so don't quote me on those figures). That's ca. US$70 of value right there*. Add a C$50 savings on a workshop, and you're up close to the total expenditure. Plus, membership is tax deductible, further lowering the cost.

*There's talk of various "grades" of membership, with "no magazine" memberships and so on that would cost substantially less. No idea whether this will happen.

Plus, there's now group health and other insurance available to members. If you're freelancing, this alone can pay for the cost of membership, particularly in the U.S. You can certainly get this insurance through other organizations, such as the Editorial Freelancers' Association in the U.S., but you still have to pay their membership fee to get it.

<<There are plenty of organizations that you can join and benefit from for like 35 bucks a year.>>

There really aren't very many professional organizations available at that cost, and few that potentially provide as much value. In Canada, for example, a quick survey: The Editors' Assocation of Canada (EAC, www.editors.ca) costs ca. C$170 (US$130) and the Periodical Writers Association (PWAC, www.pwac.ca) costs ca. C$240 (US$180). I believe that the IEEE Professional Communication Society (www.ieeepcs.org) charges something comparable, but couldn't find their membership application in a quick search. So yes, you can join other organizations cheaply, but not many for as little as you seem to think.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com