RE: The STC and me

Subject: RE: The STC and me
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:58:54 -0400

T.W. Smith blurted:

> Still, were I a hiring manager (have been, am not now), most other
> things being equal, I'd prefer STC members over non-STC-members,
> because the former are demonstrating an interest in the profession,
> rather than just being truck drivers or lawn-care guys who fell into
> the profession by accident when their previous gig ran out.

Hmm?

Funny notion, that. I thought I demonstrated (every day) my
interest in the "profession" (though I think of it more as
my trade or craft) by working at it five days a week (plus a
little extra when crunches come along) and getting paid, year
after year, by a well-pleased employer. Who'da thunk I
coulda just been doing any old thing these past decades
and merely kept an STC membership going, and I'd be golden
in the resumé heap?

I fell into this gig (and my previous ones) by asking for
it. I originally fell into the trade from my "gigs" as
production technician and then third-line tech-support guy
(the one the first-line and second-line people looked to
when things got sticky and customers got huffy). I found
that I was doing a lot of tech-ish writing anyway, and
that I enjoyed that part of the job. So when an opening
appeared, down the hall, to do it as a full-time job
without the irate customers and fix-it-yesterday-I'm-losing-
tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-a-day pressure... I grabbed.

I've been doing mostly techy-writing stuff since the
mid-1980s. Yet, if you were hiring, some green kid with
a current STC membership would trump me, outa the gate?

What!!??! Not even my ingratiating nature and winning smile
would get me a nod? Oh... wait... I wouldn't get called
for an interview, due to my lack of credentials.

Kevin (who was an STC member for about 10 of the past 20
years, but not for the last five)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com