Re: The STC and me

Subject: Re: The STC and me
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:04:38 +0000

written_by -at- juno -dot- com wrote:

So please.... Someone tell me why I should join a group that is
apparently not going to help me all that much.

Unsurprisingly, you've heard a lot in response about showing an interest in the profession, and keeping up professionally. But, actually, the STC is next to useless for both goals. Most employers want to see an interest in the technology that you'll be documenting, not in writing as such; they take that for granted. And since the STC is not very technically oriented, it's not much good for keeping up to date, either. Besides, there are many easier ways to keep current.

I think the real reason why people stick with the STC is simply for socialization. Many people are lone writers, and others seem to have a hard time getting on with the developers they work with (at least, so I judge by the constant "I can't get any respect" routines). Either way, they welcome the chance to meet with other people in the same situations.

Which begs the question: Why doesn't the STC start meetings by going around the circle and having everyone say, "My name is [blank] and I'm a technical writer?" ;>

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com