RE: Winhelp file suddenly blew up! Any ideas?

Subject: RE: Winhelp file suddenly blew up! Any ideas?
From: "technicoid" <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:45:11 -0600

>Then reopened it to suddenly find links missing randomly throughout the
>whole file.
>Not just broken - they no longer even look like links, just text. Old
links, new links,
>several from one page, one link from another page, and so on. Some links
have the link
>text displayed next to them. The Tools Option to "display all" is not set.

You've discovered one of the reasons you always want to use character styles
instead of button-bar formatting to create your links. If a base style in
normal.dot is updated, it can override all of the locale character
formatting used on paragraphs tagged with that style. I've seen this happen
before, particularly when automatic updates are used in Word.

Double-check the locations of the missing links. My guess is that they all
occur in either a paragraph tagged with the Normal style or in paragraphs
tagged with styles based on Normal.

No easy way to fix it, unless you can get a backup. For the future, you
might consider creating character styles for your link formatting--double
underline for jumps, single underline for popups, hidden text for the link
syntax (topic ID) itself. You don't need to add color. HCW does that on its
own.

Bill
technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com