Re: Deadline extended for proposals for STC Annual Conference

Subject: Re: Deadline extended for proposals for STC Annual Conference
From: Doug Cuff <subscribe -at- cuff -dot- mailshell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:07:03 -0300

I agree that requiring copyright transfer is greedy. I agree that one-time publication rights would be much more author-friendly. It may even be true that the policy will discourage presenters.

However. It has now been some years since my wife learned that a computer security conference she was attending the transfer of copyright. I would guess by now that this is a standard requirement at many conferences.

I hope we can turn back the tide, but it's not just the STC we have to lobby. They may be doing a foolish thing, but they're not alone, so it's scarcely a quirk.

Chuck Martin wrote:

I also noticed an interesting quirk: the STC "reqires" that, if you contribute a paper to the conference for the proceedings, you must transfer copyright to the STC. The site goes on to say that if you want to re-use the article, the STC will grant a non-exclusive, royalty-free license or will reassign the copyright back to the author and retain tha same non-exclusive, royalty-free license.

This seems pretty greedy. I don't see why the STC can't simply use one-time publications rights, then ask for or negotiate for more if they want/need it. I love the reason they give: "This procedure helps STC distribute information to the technical communication community in the most efficient manner." In reality, this policy is not author friendly.

[...]
And I'll bet this policy keeps many popular and well-known industry writers from presenting at the STC conference.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com