RE: Chapter Overviews

Subject: RE: Chapter Overviews
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:20:23 -0500

To clarify, the piece of information in question from my original post is,
in our documents, a single table appearing on page 3 of the Introduction.
(example below)

My personal opinion (previously unstated here) is that we need to "move it
or lose it."

Right now I lean towards losing it, because in it's current location, buried
three pages deep in a section most people never read, I don't feel it's
useful. The chapter headings are descriptive. The descriptive sentence/s
used for these are cross-referenced from the first page of each chapter, so
they are the first thing that the user will read in each chapter. There's
no information here that isn't easily obtained elsewhere, and more
prominently, in the docs.

In other examples that do contain this detailed list of chapter contents, it
appears on the first page of the relevant front matter chapter (Preface,
About This Book, etc.), and is followed by other general information. So,
should it remain in our docs, it needs to find a more prominent location,
which will require some slight restructuring of our document outlines across
all the product lines.

Example from an existing document:

The User Guide contains the following chapters:

Introduction
This chapter shows the operational controls and
location of the major components needed in the

Printer Setup
This chapter provides the tasks that you must
complete and the issues the you must consider
before you load and configure your printer.

Printer Operation
This chapter provides instructions for loading
media, loading ribbon, and basic printer operation.

Configuration
This chapter discusses detailed configuration
settings and instructs you how to view or
change parameters through the front panel.

Routine Care and Adjustments
This chapter discusses printer cleaning and
minor adjustments.

Troubleshooting
This chapter discusses typical problems and
their probable solutions.

Data Connections
This appendix provides details about the serial
port and parallel port data connections.

Specifications
This appendix contains specifications for this printer.

*************************
Carla Martinek, Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation
333 Corporate Woods Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
tel: 847.793.5616 fax: 847.821.1795
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL -
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete
this email.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com