Best practice for Edition or Revision history?

Subject: Best practice for Edition or Revision history?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:12:02 -0400

Tammy Lloyd wondered: <<Is there a standard limit for edition or revision histories? >>

Not that I'm aware of. But I'd say that the "best practice" would involve thinking carefully about what you intend to achieve by providing this information.

<<In each preface, we include an Edition History in which a comprehensive list of the document's editions are listed. For each edition, the edition (e.g., First) and its part number, the product version the document accompanies, and the major changes that were made to the document are included in a table format. Some of our documents are now reaching more than ten versions, which is taking up nearly a page in the Preface.>>

In the popular press, where the goal of such histories is to brag about how well your book is selling or demonstrate that it's been successful, revision histories can be moderately extensive. That probably isn't your context, but if it is, consult the Chicago Manual of Style for guidelines. In CMS 14, you can find this under "Publishing History (beginning at 1.20) and "Prior publication" (1.33).

For technical manuals, the goal of these pages is primarily to answer the question "am I using the correct version of the manual for the software that I have installed?" That's useful for those few people who ever consult the revision history; most of us just ignore it. But to address that primary need, you need some way to tie the revision history to the actual software releases for those who need this information.

What software releases are still out there being used? Which of these does the current manual support fully? Once you can answer those questions, you can figure out how many revisions to include. For example, if the software went from version 1.5 to version 1.6 and changed so much that some aspects of the old manual were deleted and some new aspects were included, then the revision history should reflect this. That's a significant change to the reader.

In contrast, if you went from version 1.5 to version 1.51 and all that changed was a few bug fixes that didn't affect the documentation, there's no need to reflect this in the revision history. Similarly, if you revised the manual to make a procedure clearer, but didn't actually change the content of that procedure, there's no need to include this in the revision history. Neither change is sufficiently significant from the reader's perspective to merit a mention. Contrast this with a "pre-release" manual full of typos and errors, and the "post-release" follow-up manual, which contains exactly the same content but with the typos and errors fixed: that requires a mention.

<<If we omit the oldest document versions, is it necessary to reference them in some way so that users know there are even later versions of the document?>>

Only in the following sense: "Revision 1.5 of this manual covers versions 1.5 to 1.57 of the software. For previous versions of the software, consult earlier revisions of the manual." (No need to list revisions 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.2, etc.) If you have some control over what goes on your Web site, you could present a comprehensive revision history there, with links to PDFs of the old versions. That's value-added!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com