Re: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: Re: STC Transformation -- info
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:57:09 -0400

You're serious with the cat thing, right? You think it's a good
comparison or analogy? It isn't.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:39:43 -0400, Bonnie Granat
<bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote:

> > It's like this, at many places--my current gig is the poster child for
> > this--managers perceive that anyone with a college education is
> > capable of being an excellent technical writer in their native tongue.
>
> Would you also agree to work for a man who thought he was a cat?
>
> > The reason for having technical writers around, I would guess, because
> > I can never get this answered, is because programmers and engineers
> > are needed elsewhere. Thus, the writing skills are not valued and tool
> > skills are, because the programmers and engineers don't have time or
> > the inclination to become FrameMaker experts.
> >

> Did you freely choose to work there, or are you an indentured servant
> (you know that's illegal, of course)?

This is an interesting question. Do you have a family, home, etc.? I
mean, I do suspect you have bills, but do you suspect the same for me?

> Why don't you just find a job working for non-Neanderthals?

Is it that easy where you live? Do you expect it is where I am? Why?

> > So, proving value sometimes, I would argue often, is necessary and I'm
> > surprised you don't get it. I guess you've just always had cool and
> > froody employers, Pan Galactic Gargleblaster anyone?
> >

> There's a logical problem here of enormous proportions. You are assuming
> that the man who thinks he is a cat is going to have the appropriate
> response to your demonstration of value. Don't you have enough evidence
> to see that he never will? He never will because from the start he
> thinks he's a cat.

It's a cute analogy, am laughing my ass off. But, it really doesn't
apply nor help. <g>

> I've never worked for cats, that's all, just people who were normal.

You have not run into the situation I describe? Are you assuming my
situation is not normal or common?

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com