Re: what do you get out of the STC or what would you?

Subject: Re: what do you get out of the STC or what would you?
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:00:38 -0400

> One gets as good as one gives in STC, as with most organizations. Active
> involvement can help you find and obtain jobs and learn new ways of doing
> things. It can help with self-fulfillment and it can help you pass on to
> newcomers and help them improve.

Maybe your chapter. My chapter leeched all they could from those who
were active and gave nothing back in return. All the effort I and
others put in went unused, unacknowledged, and unappreciated. Meetings
were nothing but gossip sessions between those who've worked together
before (basically a reason for them to get together to hang out - and
they were the chapter leaders). My chapter bred apathy. I realized I
was getting nothing out of it, and the yearly magazine subscription
was no bonus, and then realized I was getting much more out of free
lists such as this one, so I've bagged the STC completely. I am not
alone in this either; my chapter lost a lot of people this way, and I
don't think I've seen the central organization do anythign to correct
it. I'm still on the local chapter's announcement list, but I can't
even recall when the last event was... maybe 8-9 months ago? I
remember snow being on the ground the last time I heard from the
chapter president via that list.

I get just as good if not far superior help and information from these
mailing lists as the STC, I am able to network just as easily, and
unlike the STC, these lists have helped me build strong friendships
with others in the field - many who are prominent members of our field
- in a variety of geographic locations. In short, I got for free what
the STC probably would have never given me for a price.

> The organization has made the attempt recently to expand the benefits of
> membership, such as by offering insurance coverages. I think that those at
> the headquarters level are doing their best to move forward and give real
> benefit to members. I am a little uncertain about some of the potentialities
> of this current move to reshape the organization, but that's just me.

I still think the STC has some soul searching to do at the core of the
organization.

> I'd rather there be an STC than not.

I don't want to see the STC go away, but they need to focus on a few
core services, throw the rest away, and provide real value and
structure in the services they DO choose to support. They're trying to
butter too many rolls.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com