Knoppix (Was: Another FrameMaker question)

Subject: Knoppix (Was: Another FrameMaker question)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:41:46 -0700

Quoting "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>:

> FYI, if you want to try Koffice but don't have Linux installed, it's
> availble on Knoppix 3.3 (but was removed from 3.4 for space reasons).
> There are also dozens of Knoppix variants, some of which probably have
> Koffice.
>
> FYI, Knoppix and its descendants are Linux distros that run entirely on
> a CD. Just download it and burn it to CD. Stick it in your CD-ROM
> drive, even on your Windows PC, and boot it up - wham, you're running
> Linux. It doesn't do anything to your hard disk; it runs everything in
> memory.
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/about.php
> http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations

I can't rave enough about Knoppix. In addition to Linux itself, Knoppix is a
good way to satisfy your curiosity about the GIMP graphics program,
OpenOffice.org, the Partition Magic replacement QT Parted, the DTP program
Scribus, and dozens of other free software programs. One look at the contents of
Knoppix, and you'll never again make the mistake of thinking that free/open
source software is inferior to commercial versions.

Not only that, but Knoppix makes a great rescue disk. I know several sysadmins
and a couple of computer stores who use it in preference to a Windows boot disk
because it is more versatile.

And if that is not enough joy in your life, if you like what you see, you can
open a command line, type

sudo knoppix-installer

and in twenty minutes, you have a version installed on your hard drive, complete
with boot manager, so that you can choose whether to use Linux or Windows when
you start the computer. Then, after that, Knoppix being Debian, you can learn
how to use the apt-get command, and install programs on-the-fly until you have
everything you want.

Knoppix isn't the first OS to run from CD, by any means. But it packs so much
usefulness on to a CD that it's definitely one of the best ones.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com